Sunday, May 2, 2010

This Week, Sunday is Healthy Recipe Day! (#3)

This weekend is all messed up, blog wise. Switching around the days is confusing me! I was just going to sit down to write about goals, but then I realized that I did that yesterday! I'm a goof, I know.

Once again, this week I'm going to refer to my organic cook book. Such good recipes in there! Too bad organic foods aren't as easy to come by. Maybe in bigger cities they are, but certainly not here. I'll have to drive into the city to get any good organics!

This week's recipe is:

Fruit Salad with Cherry Vinaigrette
(makes 8 servings)

Cherry Vinaigrette
1/2 cup fresh organic sweet chrries, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup orange juice
1 to 2 tbsp organic honey
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp canola oil
A pinch of salt

Fruit Salad
3 cups of organic cantaloupe, diced
1 large organic mango, peeled and diced
1/4 cup almonds, sliced

Comnine cherries, orange juice, honey, vinegar, oil and salt in a small bowl. Stir well and set aside 5 minutes for flavours to blend.

Combine cantaloupe and mango in sald bowl. Add dressing just before serving. Sprinkle with almonds.

Nurtients per serving: 75 calories, 2g total fat <1g protein, 15g carbohydrate, 11mg sodium, 1g dietary fibre, trace saturated fat

**Variation: For a flavour variatin, substitute peaches or nectarines for the mango. If fresh cherries aren't available, use frozen cherries, thawed and drained well.

Doesn't that sound yummy? Especially since summer is coming! I can't wait for all of these fruits to come into season so we can get them here! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment