Saturday, July 3, 2010

Saturday Recipe

Today I thought we'd do something simple, basic, and a favourite of everyone. I mean, who doesn't love chicken noodle soup? I'm a fan, but only when it's cold out. I'm reading an article in "Fitness" magazine, and it's saying that there was some research done that states that people who had one and a half cups of chicken noodle soup before a workout were more hydrated than those who drank water. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but it's something to think about. Here is the recipe:

Chicken Noodle Soup
1 store bought deli roast chicken
2 quarts cold water
2 carrots, washed and sliced into circles
3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 springs fresh thyme, leaves only
Salt and pepper
2 cups uncooked noodles
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 sprigs fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Place the chicken, water, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and thyme in a large stockpot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes; remove chicken. Shred the meat, discarding the skin and bones. Season broth with salt and pepper to taste; add noodles and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until noodles are cooked. Add lemon juice and parsley; service.

Makes 6 servings

I think it sounds pretty good, don't you? It looks like we're in for some rainy days, and I have to keep running, so I might need the soup to warm me up right down to my bones!

Well, it's off to clean and run for me now. Got to get ready to go and see the hubby! Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment