Saturday, April 24, 2010

Healthy Recipe Saturdays! (#2)

Last week, I gave you all a recipe that I love - chicken chili. I made it for Monday night's dinner and it was fabulous! I forgot all about the kidney beans, but oh well. Next time. I'm one of those people who can never remember everything, so next time I decide to make it, I'm making a shopping list!

Today I'm going to refer to my Easy Organic Cooking book. There are some really awesome recipes in it that are low in fat and because they encourage you to use all organics. We, as a society eat way too many over processed foods. I know shopping organically is much more expensive, but keep your eyes out for farmers markets. We have a great one here, and the vegetables and fruits that are grown are completely organic. And inexpensive. Gotta love it.

Here's this week's recipe:

Fruit- Filled Puff Pancakes
(makes 4 servings)

1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup organic white flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 organic eggs
1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sliced fresh organic strawberries
1 tsp sugar substitute*
2 tsp powdered sugar
*This recipe was tested with sucralose-based sugar substitute

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place butter in 9-inch glass pie plate. Place pie plate in oven 2 minutes or until butter is bubble. Swirl pan to coat bottom and sides.
3. Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Whisk eggs in medium bowl until frothy. Add milk and vanilla to eggs; whisk until blended. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; whisk until blended. (Batter will be slightly lumpy.)
4. Remove pie plate from oven. Add melted butter to batter; mix well. Pour batter into hot pie plate; bake 20 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned.
5. Meanwhile, combine strawberries and sugar substitute in medium bowl.
6. Cut puff into 4 wedges to serve. Spoon fruit over hot pancake wedges. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.

Nutrients per serving: (1/4 of pancake) 169 calories, 6g total fat, 7g protein 22g carbohydrate, 114mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 2g dietary fibre, 3g saturated fat


I hope you try this one out - it looks delicious! I think I'm going to make it for breakfast tomorrow!

Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment